I was cleaning out the truck this evening, and I found The Tape. I can’t believe it. Over 21 years ago, I was passing the time on a summer afternoon recording songs off the radio on my dad’s cassette radio. Basically, if a song sounded interesting, I kept it. I ended up filling up most of one of those good old cheap “low noise” C-60 cassettes.
A couple of those songs became pretty important to me (see this post and this one for two references). Most of it, though, was just random music I found interesting. It’s a real slice of memory that I’m glad I dug up. The cassette itself is going in a case in my “memory box” for safe-keeping (though I don’t know how much longer it will last).
However, now that I’ve had a chance to listen to it again, I’ve decided to dig up all the music in digital form and turn “The Tape” into “The CD”. A lot of the songs I already had, of course. All but one of the rest were available from iTunes.
Anyway, just for fun, here it is:
- Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean
- Everything She Wants by Wham!
- Smooth Operator by Sade
- Every Breath You Take (AKA “The Stalker Song”) by The Police
- Walking On Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves
- The Search Is Over by Survivor
- I Saw The Light by Todd Rundgren
- One More Night by Phil Collins
- Angel by Madonna
- Invisible by Alison Moyet
- Late In The Evening by Paul Simon
- Possession Obsession by Hall & Oates
- Can’t Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon
- One Night In Bangkok by Murray Head (from the Chess soundtrack)