(edited 26 November 2002: I made this again today and adjusted a couple of things. I cut the bacon to half a package, firmed up the cooking time [an hour is a bit too long], and modified the directions on the onions a bit so that you don’t have to drain them.)
I piddled around with this one until I think I have it right. Thanks to Monica for helping me find what was missing. I just happened to think that Misty and Stephen will be having these for the first time on Sunday. More converts!!
Jeff’s Southern Baked Beans
- 2 cans (~15 ounces each) of pork and beans (NOT canned baked beans…too much sugar)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Heinz ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 package of bacon
- 1 large onion
- Fry the bacon until it is just a little under-done (not browned at all). Drain it (reserve the fat) and cut into small chunks.
- Finely chop the onion and fry it in a little of the bacon fat. Cook until soft and partially caramelized.
- Combine the brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, and onions in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Gently stir in the bacon and beans until everything is distributed evenly.
- Pour into a lubricated 13×9 (or similar) glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees until it looks right (about 45 minutes). It should be thick and bubbly, but don’t let the sugar brown.